CONNECTING PEOPLE TO IDEAS AND TO EACH OTHER
CONNECTING PEOPLE TO IDEAS AND TO EACH OTHER

How Much Energy Do Buildings Use?

We Understand Car Emissions, but My Team Is Just Beginning to Measure the Efficiency of Homes and Offices All Over L.A.

In energy, we are learning how to make the invisible visible.

We now know that cities are responsible for 70 percent of the globe’s greenhouse gas emissions. We know that 60 percent of those urban GHG emissions comes from cars, trucks, and other forms of transportation, with the remaining 40 percent coming from building energy use—electricity and natural gas to heat and cool.

But we don’t know many of the particulars about energy use in buildings. How much do different types of buildings, or different aged buildings, or …

More In: Energy Use